We’ve been feeling guilty. It’s been weeks since we’ve sat down and really wrestled with the police crime map to round up neighborhood crimes.
But earlier today we picked up a comment from New In Maple Leaf that questions whether we SHOULD track crime here:
It seems as if ALL this blog discusses is robberies and car thefts. It seems rare that it reports on other happenings of the neighborhood. Is it right to assume that we have moved to a high crime area? It is great to be informed…but interesting that none of the other seattle neighborhood blogs report on this type of stuff as often…any thoughts?
But we do operate on the basic assumption that it’s better to know than to not know. About what’s happening next door and across the street. At neighborhood businesses and parks. Why ARE there 10 police cars parked down the street?
Is Maple Leaf a high crime area? Not so far as we can tell. We’ve discussed it here. Also here, here, and probably a few other places, including our inaugural post -yes, Maple Leaf Life is a year old!
So (deep breath) here’s a crime update since our last roundup nearly a month ago. Incidentally, we don’t report on all crimes – no shopliftings, for example – just ones we think neighbors should know about.
- Tuesday, Feb. 8, in the 500 block of Northeast 78th Street.
- Monday, Jan. 31, in the 9700 block of Third Avenue Northeast. Credit cards stolen from a purse inside an office.
- Wednesday, Jan. 26, in the 500 block of Northeast 79th Street.
- Tuesday, Jan. 25. Two separate witnesses watched two suspects walk up to the back door of a house in the 1900 block of Northeast 107th Street. Police report that a woman dropping off her child at day care saw one of the suspects enter the back door. And a neighbor, who knew that neither suspect lived at that address, followed their vehicle when it sped off but lost them at Lake City Way. Police reported: “Inside the house there were clear signs of burglary. Jewelry boxes were emptied and drawers were opened.”
- Wednesday evening, Jan. 19, in the 300 block of Northeast 103rd Street.
- Monday, Jan. 24, in the 1000 block of Northeast 82nd Street. Drawers and cabinets opened, laptop computer, passport and jewelry stolen.
- Tuesday, Jan. 18, in the 8800 block of Roosevelt Way Northeast. This is the annual Cloud City Coffee commercial burglary we reported on earlier.
- Friday, Jan. 28, in the 800 block of Northeast 81st Street.
- Wednesday, Jan. 19, in the 300 block of Northeast Northgate Way.
- Friday, Feb. 4, in the 10300 block of 15th Avenue Northeast.
- Friday, Feb. 3, in the 9000 block of 12th Avenue Northeast.
- Wednesday, Feb. 2, in the 9200 block of 12th Avenue Northeast.
- Monday, Jan. 31, in the 9700 block of 23rd Avenue Northeast.
- Monday, Jan. 31, in the 300 block of Northeast Northgate Way.
- Thursday, Jan. 27, in the 500 block of Northeast Northgate Way.
- Thursday, Jan. 27, in the 1200 block of Northeast 89th Street.
- Thursday, Jan. 27, in 1500 block of Northeast 90th Street.
- Wednesday, Jan. 26, in the 500 block of Northeast Northgate Way.